1 c. walnut halves (leave them as halves or chop very coarse)
1 beaten egg white
1 tbsp. grapeseed oil
1/8 tsp. xanthan gum
6 chicken thighs, boned, cut into 1/2" pieces (if you prefer use about 1 lb chicken breast)
1/2 c grapeseed oil
1/4 c. paleo plum sauce
1 (1") piece ginger, chopped
1 tbsp. honey
2 tblsp. fish sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 green onions, finely chopped
- Pour boiling water over walnuts, let stand 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Combine egg with 1 tablespoon oil and xantan gum in small bowl. Add chicken pieces and toss gently to coat.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in wok over medium heat. Add walnuts and fry until golden, about 45 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Add chicken to wok and fry until golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Drain. Pour off all but thin film of oil. Return pan to heat.
- Add plum sauce, ginger, honey, fish sauce, sesame oil and stir until combined. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly until sauce begins to thicken, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add chicken and walnuts; mix thoroughly with sauce. Transfer to heated platter and garnish with green onion.