Saturday, January 21, 2012

Cream of Mushroom & Sweet Potato Soup

I had some mushrooms and a half of a baked sweet potato in the fridge and needed to use up the last of a can of coconut milk so I thought I'd see what I could make out of it... this is NOTHING like the mushroom soup you'll get from a can! Makes about 2 cups of soup (I think)

Since I rarely measure unless it's necessary, these are approximate portions.

Saute 1 clove minced fresh garlic and 1/4 cup chopped onion in about 1 Tblsp coconut oil until onion is almost translucent.
Cube the sweet potato (abut 1/2 of a baked sweet potato) into cubes. If you don't use a baked sweet potato, just cube it up and saute it with the onion & garlic.
Toss in about 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms and continue to saute for about 2 minutes.
Add 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1/4 cup water, a pinch of  sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and 1/4 tsp paprika.
I added about 1 tsp Frank's hot sauce... I love the extra kick... I mashed up some of the sweet potato to give it a creamy consistency.
Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until soup is at a steady simmer.

I enjoyed this one so much I was glad my daughter declined the spoonful I offered her... more for me! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment